TCU Wins Award for Innovation in International Education
TCU developed a campus-wide program of resources and events called Discovering Global Citizenship to engage TCU with the world by providing international and comparative experiences for students.
It was announced today that TCU’s Discovering Global Citizenship program is the winner of an Andrew Heiskell Award for Innovation in International Education. The Institute of International Education sponsors the annual competition to recognize outstanding initiatives in international higher education among its 1,400 member campuses.IIE will present the award at a ceremony in New York City on March 20 as part of its yearly conference for campus professionals. Nearly 200 campus leaders and international education professionals attend this conference each year. Ed McNertney (director of TCU’s Quality Enhancement Program), Jane Kucko and John Singleton (QEP implementation directors) will attend to accept the award.TCU developed a campus-wide program of resources and events called Discovering Global Citizenship to engage TCU with the world by providing international and comparative experiences for students. With 30 percent of students and faculty already engaged in global pursuits, the goal in launching the program was to build a grassroots network of learning to impact all levels of the university and build global awareness among the other 70 percent of the community.Discovering Global Citizenship has created six different initiatives to date, incorporating technology for overseas communication with foreign students, developing international projects and partnerships, bringing in guest speakers, and fostering research collaboration with visiting scholars. Several of the initiatives, such as the World Programming Grant and the Global International Alumni Project, include students teaming up with faculty or alumni to provide for research support on global issues and increased student participation in understanding these issues.
The purpose of this international programming is to bring global opportunities to the TCU campus so that students and faculty can engage in sustained international experiences within their own university community.
“We are dedicated to this initiative because of its importance and relevance to higher education and in preparing today’s student for responsible, global citizenship,” says R. Nowell Donovan, Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.